I normally don’t do these types of things but Arielle of the Inconspicuous Bear called me out and it’d haunt me for a few days if I didn’t.
1. Why did you start playing Warcraft?
I wrote a post on my first few years of Warcraft, but the short of it is I thought turning into animals was cool and some of my new college friends were playing it.
2. What was the first ever character you rolled?
A tauren druid on my friend’s account called Kiwitari or Kiwitori. The second one was another tauren druid who remained my main until Cataclysm.
3. Which factors determined your faction choice in game?
My friends played Horde. I really liked the draenei, but I also really liked tauren so I was okay with it (and draenei couldn’t be druids). At the beginning of Catacylsm, I decided to try out Alliance so I rerolled a worgen druid. Ideally I’d switch every few years.
4. What has been your most memorable moment in Warcraft and why?
Killing Heroic Spine of Death Wing. I was really stressed out because my raid leader kept yelling at me and it’s such a tiring fight and we had wiped a couple hundred times. Then I wept.
5. What is your favourite aspect of the game and has this always been the case?
Obviously raiding. I used to PvP in my early days, but I got too anxious and angry so I stopped. Power-hungry orcs can’t laugh at you if you make a mistake, so raiding is pretty cool.
6. Do you have an area in game that you always return to?
The islands in Nagrand have always made me happy. I used to spend time up there with a friend and we’d duel. I have a soft spot for Howling Fjord because I spent many tired hours there after the release of Wrath, making stupid tired-person jokes with my guild.
7. How long have you /played and has that been continuous?
I started playing in January 2007 and quit for a few months prior to Cataclysm.
My /played is:
Monk: 58 days
Second Druid: 65 days
First Druid: 181 days
Total: 304 days
(Obviously not counting alts, but I’m not much of an alt person.)
8. Admit it: do you read quest text or not?
I usually start out a questing adventure with reading the text but then forget after a few turn ins. I’ll read it whenever I get confused, which is often.
9. Are there any regrets from your time in game?
I’ve done quite a bit of guild hopping, most of it without proper warning, and disappointed a lot of people.
10. What effect has Warcraft had on your life outside gaming?
I’m better at writing and html stuff thanks to the blog. I’ve made some friends. If I never accomplish anything else in my life, at least I can say my team was the 9th in the country to strip armor off a dragon. That sounds pretty cool.