The Vengeful Style
Soul-shredding fel magic tanks.
Vengeance Demon Hunters are an aggressive, mobile tank specializing in self-healing. They wield a glaive in each hand and use them to rip fragments of souls from their enemies, which are absorbed by the demon hunter to increase their own health. They surround themselves with flame and inflict the fel fire of demons upon their enemies.
Vengeance demon hunters are one of the best healing tanks out there, though that doesn’t mean they lack for damage reduction, which appears in the form of demonic spikes that sprout from their skin. They boast a vast array of niche cooldowns, from fiery brands that reduce a target’s damage output to turning into a demon to increase all of their defensive capabilities.
Vengeance demon hunters also have some of the strongest group control. With their sigils, which are ground-targeted spells that inflict an array of flame, silence, or gravity well effects on nearby enemies, they can easily control new or out of range enemies without taking focus off of their current target.
Fundamental Vengeance Abilities
A basic attack that generates Pain (the primary resource) and has a chance to create Soul Fragments.
Small purple orbs that appear at a distance and can be consumed through various skills for a small heal and other effects.
Consume Pain to heal, draw any Soul Fragments to you, and attack all enemies in front of you.
A ground-targeted leap that briefly transforms the demon hunter into their Metamorphosis form before crashing down and dealing fire damage to any enemies within range.
A demon hunter’s primary damage reduction tool, it sprouts large spikes from the skin to reduce physical damage and parry.
Sigil of Flame
Place a ground-targeted rune that will activate in a few seconds to deal Fire damage to anything standing in it.
- Group control. With their Sigils, Vengeance can control the playing field without having to move from their location or change targets.
- Self-healing. Soul Cleave is their primary ability, but that healing is just the start of what they’re capable of.
- Many defensive cooldowns. Most have to do with providing extra self healing or manipulating Soul Fragments, but they do have one of the strongest damage reduction cooldowns remaining in the game: Fiery Brand.
- Movement. Vengeance demon hunters can leap to any location within range, or even teleport to an enemy with the right talents. They can also double jump and glide to avoid dangers on the ground.
- Vulnerable to spike damage. They can recover from burst, but their health will still drop from high to low at the drop of a hat, and they have to heal it up quickly to stay alive.
- Limited Magic Reduction. They have a cooldown to reduce magic damage and a little passive reduction, but their most frequent protection against magic damage is to heal it up.
- Dependence on attacks. A demon hunter must be hitting an enemy to properly survive, which leaves them vulnerable at range.
- Reactive. As a healing tank, demon hunters have to quickly recover from damage they take. They have the ability to plan ahead for those heals, but they still have to hit their active mitigation buttons quickly and after a big attack.
- Always pushing buttons. Shear is an important resource generator with no cooldown, so demon hunters always have something to fill the quiet periods of their rotation.
- Many defensive cooldowns, most of which work best in niche situations. There is no one-size-fits-all big defensive ability here, but many small, unique abilities with tradeoffs and specialities.
- Managing Soul Fragments. Soul Fragments are a subtle resource. On the surface, they’re just a small heal, but they can be used for a number of different effects when combined with talents and artifact traits, such as damage reduction, absorb shields, and preparing for future attacks.
- Complicated and interconnected talents and artifact traits. Demon hunters have a hodgepodge of talents in each tier with little unifying theme across rows, which means that there is a talent build for almost every situation. You can pick all the AoE talents if you need them, or all the healing talents, or all the cooldown talents, if you so desire. Similarly, artifact traits provide an additional level of interaction, like making all your fire damage heal, or proccing more Soul Fragments.
- Medium health, high armor, high healing, moderate damage reduction.